Moyse Léon and Isaac (known as Georges) Lévy began as assistants within the Parisian photographic studio ‘Ferrier-Soulier’ under the Second Empire. They founded their own studio in 1864 and sold prints on albumen paper, mainly stereoscopic prints, signed Léon and Lévy ‘L.L.’.The Léon & Lévy firm took part in the 1867 Universal Exhibition where they won the Emperor’s Gold Medal. In 1874, the Léon et Lévy studio became J.Lévy et Cie, Isaac Georges Levy being the only company director from this date. On the arrival of Georges Lévy’s two sons in 1895, Ernest and Lucien, the company grew and became Lévy & fils and the photographs conserved the ‘L.L’ signature. This photographic firm had an intense period of activity, editing individually sold prints, albums compiling tours (Spain, Portugal, Morocco, America) as well as postcards, all between 1864 and 1917, when the business came to an end.
Celebrities - History